One of the biggest epidemics of this era is Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), which has shaken the world in a way that everyone is afraid of this deadly disease. It’s normal to be scared about this novel coronavirus COVID-19, whether you are a parent, adult, child or teenager or anyone. Here’s what you must know about COVID-19 so that you can keep yourself and your loved one protected from this novel disease.
The infectious disease COVID-19 is caused due to the coronavirus, and the outbreak of this virus began first in Wuhan that is in China in December 2019. And to date, it is still spreading and taking the lives of people.
What is Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)?
Coronaviruses are one of the viruses, from a large family of the viruses, responsible for causing illness in the animals as well as humans. These illnesses can be as minor as the common cold and as major as the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
After some research, it is said that coronaviruses are transmitted from animals to humans. Like (SARS-CoV) is transferred between civet cats to humans, and MERS-CoV is transmitted between dromedary camels to humans.
Symptoms of COVID-19
High fever, tiredness, along with dry cough, are the most common symptoms of COVID-19 found in the patient body. They are also symptoms such as aches and pains, nasal congestion, running nose, sore throat or diarrhea that you can find in infected people. There are some cases in which people get infected but don’t develop any symptoms. Out of every six people infected with COVID-19, one gets seriously ill and develops difficulty in breathing.
Who Are at Risk?
An older person is known to have a weak immune system and COVID-19 targets body with weak fighting abilities. Moreover, a person with preexisting medical conditions suffering from high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease, cancer or Diabetes likely to develop severe illness more often than others.
How COVID-19 Spread?
COVID-19 can be said to be a contagious disease that can spread from person to person. If the person who has Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) is coughing, and if the droplets from his/her nose fall on the other person or any object, then other people can get COVID-19 by just coming in contact with these droplets. That is why everyone needs to maintain a distance of 1 meter with the other people who are sick.
Is There Any Medication That Can Cure COVID-19?
There are no search medicine and therapies that can prevent or cure COVID-19 right now. However, the World Health Organization strictly restrict self-medication. Still, they urge people to use masks wisely, clean your hands, cover while coughing and sneezing and maintain distance from people in crowded places. There are several ongoing clinical trials, and WHO will update information as soon as clinical finding is available.
How to Protect Ourselves From COVID-19?
The protection measures that you should take to protect yourself from getting COVID-19 are as below:
- Regularly wash your hands with water and soap or can use alcohol-based hand sanitizers as they can kill the viruses present on your hand.
- You also need to maintain at least 1-meter distance from the person who is sick or is coughing and sneezing because you do not want to breathe in or get in contact with the small liquid droplets that come out from their mouth and nose while sneezing.
- You need to avoid touching your face, eyes, nose or mouth too often as you will not your virus picked hand to prepare the gateway for these viruses to enter your body and make you feel sick.
- Maintain good respiratory hygiene, which means you need to cover your nose and mouth while coughing and sneezing with the bent elbow or with the tissue. This way, you are acting like a responsible citizen who is protecting people around you from any kind of virus.
- If you are feeling sick, then its best that you stay at home alone. Seek medical attention at once if you have a fever, difficulty in breathing and cough.
- Avoid travel to places where there is an outbreak of COVID-19.
- People who are older and are suffering from diabetes or lung and heart disease have high chances of affected by this disease.
If you have recently visited any place where there was an outbreak of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), then you should take measures mentioned above along with it to follow a few more protection measures:
- You need to self-isolate yourself by staying at home and don’t ever let anyone come near you if they have not worn the mask or gloves. While going out or talking to anyone, you need to wear a mask so that other people can’t get infected.
- If you have the symptoms of fever and cough along with it, if you have breathing difficulty too, then seek medical help as only health care officials can provide the best treatment so that the virus does not spread to any other people.
Apart from all this, get the latest Coronavirus cases to overview throughout the world with the help of COVID-19 Visualizer, the Corona Tracker.